NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Courses. How Many Fail to Graduate?

You want to become an NRA-qualified instructor? Take an NRA Instructor course. Unless you do something incredibly stupid—“candidates must possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills”—the chances are close to 100 percent that you will emerge with a certificate. I’ve never heard of anyone failing to get the paper. On the civilian level, that’s not that much of a big deal. For law enforcement, well, I wonder . . . And yes there is a non-white face in this NRA video. He’s cuddling with Eddie Eagle at 3:21.

comments

1. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

I just passed the 15 hour NRA instructor course getting 99 out of 100 questions correct. They only answer I got wrong was the NRA order line phone number. I used the 866 number on the front of the brochure, but the correct order number is on the inside page. I’m still pissed and I’m willing to bet that the majority of people will call the number on the front only to find out it’s the wrong number. These fools should have the ORDER number in plain sight, not some other dumass number that just wastes everyone’s time.(I hope the NRA guys that are processing my certificate don’t read this, or I may never see it.)

Anyone who fails the NRA cop course is automatically promoted to Police Chief of Chicago.

3. avatar Estev says:

I took a pretty intense course several years ago with about twelve other men. The course was over three weekends and resulted in certification in several NRA disciplines (all civilian, no LE). The instruction was very professional and most of the students were the same. There was however, one individual that everyone began to realize had no business teaching anything related to firearms to anyone. The chief instructor agreed and he was not given any certification. I believe that the system worked in this case.

4. avatar Scott says:

The NRA courses are not hard but people do fail them on a regular basis. Depending on course, one might have to study. I help teach the RSO course here at my range in CA (Cert required for employment and volunteer members must have cert to act as a RSO when employees are otherwise busy).

For the RSO exam, the test is open book, but students do not see it before it is given. Nor do students grade the exams. We tell them to mark their binder’s of information as it is presented. Every time the course is offered, 3-4 people fail. Generally we tell them to go home, study and come back for a second attempt. If they can’t pass the 2nd time, they must retake the course ($200 a pop).

And yes people do fail the 2nd time.

5. avatar Bruce W. says:

I took the NRA LE Handgun/Shotgun instructor course a couple of years ago. There were approximately 25 students in the class. You are given two tries to pass the handgun and shotgun qualification courses. About half the class failed on the first try, and one guy had to take the “walk of shame”, being dismissed from the class for failing the handgun qualification course a second time.
    All-in-All, it wasn’t HARD, but it wasn’t a joke either. If you’ve got experience shooting, beyond standing there punching holes in paper, then it’s not overly challenging.

6. avatar Jerry Mojeck says:

These Law Enforcement courses are not a joke. I just completed my second school and watched the instructor drop 2 students by day 3…a 3rd on day 4 and 2 more who could not pass the shooting assessment on day 5. The reason a high percentage pass is because you MUST pre qualify and they do verify the documentation you submit. This division of the NRA has no political association with the politics of the NRA civilian side and these instrutors are ALL previous Law Enforcement, take their job very serious and have a high level of integrity

1. avatar Fletch F. says:

You guys are mixing up NRA Pistol Instructor with NRA LE Hangun Instructor. They are not even close to the same thing. Combine Basic Pistol, Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home and add a Police Firearms Qualification standard to pass and you are still only about halfway there.

It is no joke. Regular NRA courses are more about safe gun handling for novices and people wanting basic skills for CCW.

7. avatar j Harris says:

the only students that failed were the cops in the class

8. avatar John says:

I took the NRA Law Enforcement Handgun Course about 2 years ago. Ether the folks putting the course down are either Navy Seals or never took the 5 day course. It was no joke and much to be learned. If I remember correctly everyone did pass the written exam, but 3 or 4 did not qualify on the range. BTW: Background- Former MP, Current NRA Pistol Instructor disciplines and NRA Training Counselor and Florida ‘K’ Firearms Instructor, ALICE Active Shooter Response Training Instructor. Thanks

1. avatar Brandon Rico says:

What is the course of fire for the handgun? Such as distance’s