Not So Gunless in UK: 1.8m Firearms and Counting

According to guardian.co.uk, the UK is home to 1.8 million firearms, up two percent on last year. That’s legally registered firearms. It’s safe to assume that there are half again as many illegal firearms lingering within the island nation. Which kind knocks the wind from the sails of gun control advocates who like to hold up The Land of Hope and Glory as the gun-less prototype for U.S. firearms legislation. Or does it?

comments

1. avatar mikeb302000 says:

You know what, you can count on one hand the number of times I’ve used the UK to make a point. It’s you and your friends who continually mention it, usually with repeated inaccurate statements which your post title along is enough to refute.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

England mentioned on your blog here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here. And that’s just the first page of search results. There are 38 more links.

1. avatar Buuurr says:

Lulz…pwnt indeed!

2. avatar AntiCitizenOne says:

I didn’t think Italian wine was that strong to impair your ability to count…

perhaps I should give some to the antis in my class, I’m sure I can get some classy quotes from them.

3. avatar John Fritz says:

Oh, snap!

Sorry, JOE, I was at the range getting ready for my trip to Rome.

1. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

Your one of a kind Ralph, don’t ever leave us.

2. avatar mikeb302000 says:

I can’t wait.

5. avatar mikeb302000 says:

Robert, That’s a pretty slick trick. Knowing that most of your readers wouldn’t bother to click on those links, some of your most intelligent members of the “intelligentia” have actually stated it as a sort-of moral position, you just threw up a bunch of random links. The first three have nothing to do with England.

As I said, I don’t often use England as an example of anything. It’s you pro-gun guys who do that and usually what you say is false, like all that crap about “banning” guns and crime going up because of it.

1. avatar AntiCitizenOne says:

Even though this one actually isn’t false?

2. avatar Anon says:

I’m curious. Why’d you put the word “banning” in quotes?

Are certain firearms banned in England, or not?

3. avatar AntiCitizenOne says:

You need to jump through a heck of a lot of hoops in order to get a shotgun license.

Yet handguns are effectively banned for the UK – even though they’re the most effective weapons for self-defense.

4. avatar Anon says:

Oh, I know the answer. I was just wondering if MikeB would be honest that his scarequotes were just that – pointless.

5. avatar mikeb302000 says:

I often put “ban” in quotation marks because the way you guys like to use it the inference is total absolute ban of all firearms. You do that in a transparent attempt to slant the argument in your favor. If one particular gun is banned and all others are allowed, and you want to say guns are “banned,” you need those quotations marks to maintain some semblance of honesty.

6. avatar Anon says:

So I guess the answer to my question is ‘no’, then?

If two or more guns are banned in England, then it’s perfectly accurate to say, “Guns are banned in England,” while it isn’t at all accurate to say, “ALL guns are banned in England.”

I’m sorry you don’t get the distinction, but given what I’ve read about you on here, I can’t claim to be surprised.

2. avatar CUJO THE DOG OF WAR says:

Wow! They take their fox hunting seriously!

3. avatar Christopher says:

Gee the UK is like Kalifornia. The moron ratio is way too high.

4. avatar porschespeed says:

If one were to have a boat and a place to, umm, store firearms, the UK would be a great place to shop.

There’s a massive pile of full-autos that are now just “collectibles” and require no paperwork. (The UK ‘de-activation protocols’ are a complete joke.)

If one were to have a few IQ points and a vert mill, you could have quite an armory.

Hypothetically, of course….