On Friday, the former head of the ATF’s Mexican bureau revealed that his “direct supervisor” told him that high-ranking officials at the Department of Justice (DOJ) approved the operation known as Fast and Furious. (That’s the no-longer-secret code name for the ATF program that enabled thousands of American guns to flow from the U.S. to Mexican drug cartels; at least two of which were used to murder two American law enforcement officers.) To be clear, Darren Gil’s jefe told him that Fast and Furious had been approved by DOJ officials superior to acting ATF head Kenneth Melson. According to his interview with CBS, these superiors deliberately kept Gil out of the loop . . .
Gil first found out something was amiss in early 2010 when serial numbers from a flood of guns used in cartel crimes were all tracing back to the same case in Phoenix: “Fast and Furious.” But when Gil’s analyst checked ATF’s computer files to find out more, he hit a brick wall.
“Not only did he not have access, I as the attache, the head agent in Mexico for ATF operations, did not have access,” says Gil. He was locked out.
That was a red flag because Gil says as the senior ATF official in Mexico, it was his job to approve any ATF operation involving Mexico; and he didn’t approve this one.
In fact, Gil specifically emailed his staff on Jan. 25, 2010 that no firearms would be allowed to cross into Mexico for a case without his approval. The email also stated that if he ever approved such an operation, he’d make sure the weapons were “stopped on the Mexican side of the border.” They’d never be allowed to “walk” or reach the streets.
Sounds like CYA to me. Even so, WTF?