A less famous Wasilla Republican has introduced a bill naming the pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle as Alaska’s official firearm. According to the AP, Senator Charlie Huggins reckons the pre-Kennedy assassination-era Winchester best embodies, uh, something relative to The Last Frontier. SB 105 offers no reason for elevating the Winchester Model 70 .30-.06 to such a loft place in the lonely pantheon of state firearms, currently occupied by the Browning M1911 (Utah). Saying that, Alaska’s Department of Fish and Game seems game: “If you are going to hunt brown bear on the Alaska Peninsula or Kodiak Island, a .30-06 loaded with 200- or 220-grain Nosler® or similar premium bullet will do the job with good shot placement.” The question remains: will you still shoot me, will you still moot me, when I’m sixty-four?

About Robert Farago

8 Responses to Alaska Moves to Make pre-1964 Winchester Model 70 .30-06 Rifle Official State Firearm

1. avatar2yellowdogs says:

Damn. Sure hope that photo wasn’t taken in Canada. Can you imagine the willies among the lefties?

2. avatarRobert Farago says:

Famous movie. Anyone recognize the image? Hint: it’s not set in Alaska.

3. avatarJohn says:

Don’t know the movie, but if I was walkie-talkie guy, I’d be a bit concerned to see the muzzle that close to my head.

And in other news, the LA City Council is going to propose that the Hi-Point 9MM be named the official handgun of that city.

4. avatarBob H says:

Who gave Jesse Jackson a rifle?

5. avatarNCG says:

Given the flame wars that erupt daily all over the many firearms forums among aficionados of various weapons, this Official State Gun fad could get interesting.

6. avatar2yellowdogs says:

I’m considering commissioning a poll of Missouri’s extensive and well-armed meth-cooking community to determine what our state firearm should be. I figure they probably have more fire arms per capita than anyone else in the state.