Obscure Object of Desire: Gepard GM6 .50 Caliber Heavy Sniper Rifle

According to the manufacturer’s website, “The Gepard GM6 ‘Lynx’ is a semi-automatic anti- material rifle. Thanks to the unique barrel recoil technology (SERO developed), the rifle’s recoil is less than the other rifles’ in the same category, and it makes its portable size only 915 mm. It operates with standard 12.7×107 Russian or standard .50 Browning rounds, and its penetration capacity is not less than the other destroyer rifles’ with longer barrel. Its Purpose to stop or disable targets such as light armoured vehicles, armoured rifle troops, light shelters and buildings, radio- electronical constructions, missile launchers and hovering helicopters from 600-800 m range.” Click here to check out the video, and notice how much the barrel recoils. So what’s it for? . . .

The M3 and M6 are strictly anti-materiel rifles, because the accuracy of the otherwise extremely powerful 14.5mm round degrades rapidly at ranges beyond 1000 meters. Its high destructive power is very efficient in taking out hovering helicopters, APCs or mobile radar stations, however.

Wikipedia forgets to mention waterfowl. They shouldn’t forget waterfowl. ‘Cause then it conforms to the ATF’s guidelines for importation. In theory.

comments

1. avatar Lance says:

The fact that it can be shoulder fired is insane. That thing is just awesome.

2. avatar Bob H says:

I want a couple… I think we’ll use them for uhhhhh… Home defense guns! That’s it we will keep them by the bed at night in case a gang attacks us while driving a light armoured Hummer.

3. avatar porschespeed says:

Meh.

Only slightly more range than a Lippard. Besides, I’m sure old Karl could train you how to hit a man a 600M with his 1911 and blow him out of his skin. Or something.

4. avatar Rabbi says:

Now that’s reciprocating mass! Lots of folks like to ding piston driven AR as “inaccurate” because of a tiny increase of reciprocating mass (the piston). If that was the case, the reciprocating heavy barrel of this rifle would make this rifle shoot “minute of planet.” 🙂

5. avatar Gunnutmegger says:

Porsche, you are being too pessimistic.

At 400m, the .45acp has enough energy to turn a full-grown man into component atoms, give his future children concussions, and tear a hole in the space/time continuum that will eventually suck the entire universe through it.

Thank god no one can hit sh*t with a .45acp pistol at 400m, eh?

1. avatar porschespeed says:

Thanks. My morning is always better when carbonated beverages exit through my nose.

6. avatar Bob H says:

The Wikipedia article notes that barrel length is 930mm, and the length in transport position is 928mm…. Apparently they cut 2mm off the barrel to transport it!
    It also weighs 19.5kg according to Wiki. That is 43pounds! Is Wiki wrong, or is the guy in the video actually Superman in disguise?

1. avatar Thiklah says:

Wiki is wrong. Length of barrel is 730 mm.

7. avatar Demetra says:

Your style is unique compared to other people I’ve read stuff from. Thank you for posting when you’ve got the opportunity, Guess I will just book mark this page.

8. avatar Jessika says:

Hmm it appears like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I submitted and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any suggestions for first-time blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

9. It’s truly very complex in this bus life to listen nes on Television, so I only use thhe web for that reason,
    and obtain thhe hottest news.

10. avatar canondriver says:

thanks for sharing nice bro…

11. avatar weza gobel says:

i think the gun its the second factor in war, or competition, so what tha first ?
    the first is skill from the actor 🙂

bdw, i like to reading this article, nice share, my hobby is take some time with my friend and do paintball

12. avatar filehippo says: