British Contractor Faces Iraqi Death Penalty

Danny Fitzsimons is the first Westerner to be tried by an Iraqi court since the Allies liberated the country from Saddam Hussein’s dictatorial rule. The British contractor admitted to shooting and killing two fellow ArmorGroup workers: Paul McGuigan and Darren Hoare; and then shooting and wounding an Iraqi security guard trying to detain him. Fitzsimons claimed he acted in self-defense. He also told the court he was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. An Iraqi judge is due to sentence Fitzsimons. The death penalty is on the table. “A US-Iraqi security pact that took effect on January 1, 2009, lifted immunity for foreign contractors,” dailymail.com reports. “An important development for Iraqis who viewed the security contractors operating in Iraq as reckless and acting with impunity.” Fair enough?

comments

1. avatar mikeb302000 says:

What the fuck are we even doing over there?

1. avatar TTACer says:

I this marks the 2nd or 3rd time I’ve agreed with you Mike.

2. avatar Patriot Henry says:

What the fuck are we even doing over there?

Imposing “reasonable regulations” on the Iraqi government, “common sense restrictions” on the Iraqi people, and “limiting future carnage” by going after the clips of mass destruction weapons of mass destruction.

While I agree with the sentiment framed by your question, I am surprised we concur on this. I thought you were in favor of gun control and what is this war, or really any war, but gun control writ large?

3. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

We are battling the forces of evil and trying to save the world, you really do need to pay attention Mikey. (and you’ve got a potty mouth) LMAO

2. avatar Robert Farago says:

Making the world safe for democracy.

I trust the Iraqi justice system as much as I trust ours, which is not at all.

1. avatar John Fritz says:

Yup. Law enforcement, courts, prosecutors and prisons all on the same payroll. Corruption? How could that be?