Irresponsible Gun Owner of the Day: Self-Inflicted Wounds Edition

Okay, maybe this guy didn’t OWN the gun. But as RF is fond of pointing out, if the gun is in your hands, you ‘own’ it. Now I’ve been to the range I don’t know how many times. And every time I go to a new range, I have to go through their safety check procedure, put in place to make sure I don’t do something stupid. But I’ve found that in life, it’s impossible to make anything foolproof, if for no better reason, fools are so ingenious. In all my range time, I’ve never seen an item on the safety checklist “be sure and don’t put your hand in front of the barrel and pull the trigger.”

After seeing this video, I suspect some ranges may be adding this admonition to their list.

comments

1. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

They should have taught him the proper way to hold a handgun. If he had done this with my snub nose 500 he would have a hand left.

2. avatar Patrick Brown says:

Front vertical grip slides off allowing him to vent his hand… Do you really need a front grip on that gun???

3. avatar 7350livin says:

Good thing he didn’t have the tactical bayonet option too.

1. avatar Brad Kozak says:

Wait a minute…is that Ralph’s line?

4. avatar mikeb302000 says:

That guy’s a menace. I’d give him the old one-strike-yer-out treatment.

Help a brother out, Mike. He really needs a hand job. Badly.

2. avatar Patriot Henry says:

That guy’s a menace. I’d give him the old one-strike-yer-out treatment.

Any other rights you want to hold to that standard? How about one fender bender and you can’t ever drive again. One jaywalking ticket you can’t walk anywhere. And one error in one blog post and you can’t write or blog or speak public ever again. Sound good?

5. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

Wow, hell must have frozen over cuz I agree with Mikeb. LMAO

And somewhere beyond space and time, Darwin laughs.

7. avatar Chris Dumm says:

This kind of stupidity, along with the National Firearms Act, is why most vertical foregrips come with the all-caps warning: NOT FOR USE WITH HANDGUNS. Polymer accessory rails (like the ones on most handguns) are designed to keep a light or a laser from falling off the gun under recoil. They’re not designed to handle the stresses exerted on them by a vertical foregrip, and the unfortunate result is often the one shown above.

8. avatar Nicholas says:

According to the video description, it was a Glock 17 converted to Glock 18 specs (FULL AUTO!). Its a F@#)*( machine gun and probably grossly illegally owned.

9. avatar TTACer says:

He also swept Devo’s legs when he turned away from the target.

10. avatar Condition1Kimber says:

If this is the video I think it is, it displays poor judgement by all parties involved. Don’t be “that guy”, and don’t let your buddies be him either. This demonstrates why I am so selective about who I shoot with or around. How would you like to be in the next stall?

1. avatar 2yellowdogs says:

It’s hard to know the guy in the next stall is a future Darwin selectee until he’s already self-selected. Range owners haven’t insisted on printing IQs on foreheads yet.

All you can do is pray that if he is a mouth-breather like the guy in the video, he doesn’t take anyone else with him and doesn’t bleed on you or your range bag.

“How would you like to be in the next stall?”

1. avatar Condition1Kimber says:

“I wouldn’t want to be in the next stall at a bus stop rest room unless I was armed.”

Hey, I think you’re onto something there. Possibly a future article on where to put your sidearm when dropping a duece in a public rest room. I’m not being sarcastic. My Tagua IWB sucks in this situation.

1. avatar 2yellowdogs says:

Ask and ye shall receive: