Taurus “Cancels” Raging Judge

From a gunsamerica.com email blast: “Please note that we have taken down the Taurus 28 gauge revolver story. They removed the gun from the booth after a day and have decided not to make it.” So the question now becomes did Taurus ever intend to put the 28-gauge Raging Judge into production or was it a hoax designed to spoil the introduction of the Smith & Wesson Judge?

comments

1. avatar Gunnutmegger says:

From what I can gather, the fact that it was larger caliber than .410 (and thus could not be considered a .45LC gun that just happened to chamber .410 shotshells) was the deciding factor.

It probably was too close to a “sawed-off shotgun” for the ATF to endorse it, without opening the floodgates of other models. And perhaps a legal challenge to the restrictions on sawed-off shotguns.

Scam, sham, thank you ma’am.

3. avatar Buuurr says:

On a side note the Fallout series of games now has another awesome obscure collectable gun to put in game…

4. avatar Ryan Finn says:

Ah corporate warfare at its best. I for one cannot believe that the lawyers at Taurus would have been dumb enough to not realize that a 28 gauge handgun would be illegal due to a bore size of ~.550 (If they are that dumb, then God help Taurus). So yea, I’m going to go with hoax.

5. avatar AuricTech says:

Clearly, Robert, this was a “concept gun,” just like concept cars that are never intended to be greenlighted for production. 😉

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

True dat. A genre is born.

6. avatar kappy says:

Everything I’ve heard says BAFTE was claiming it would be a short-barreled shotgun, so it wouldn’t be really salable in the US. That kind of killed the point of making it.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

The question is when did Taurus know that?

1. avatar JR says:

I am hearing reports on other blogs, that BATFE actually came up to Taurus at the show, to tell them it would be in violation.

I am not sure if you want me to post links to other blogs (competitors and all that), sorry I didn’t think of that the first time I responded.

1. avatar Robert Farago says:

Other links are cool. Bring it!

7. avatar Brad Kozak says:

I think it’s pretty obvious this was an attempt to steal S&W’s thunder. And I’m not that upset about it. Especially when you consider that S&W was jumping on the “me too!” bandwagon – sad, when you consider the storied history of Smith & Wesson. I would have almost figured this was a pattern here for Taurus, given their carbine version of the Judge that was their NRA Show no-show, but they actually produced it and started selling them.

A bigger question for me, anyway, is if there is a market for oversized revolvers that shoot both cartridges and shells, why not come out with something in a .50 caliber (maybe shoot both .500 S&W and .50 A.E. loads) and get someone to produce what amounts to a .50 cal shotgun shell? It’s not like new calibers are a no-no. And if an ammo manufacturer is willing to produce something in .410 specifically for the original Judge, why would they not be willing to produce something that would fit in a .50 caliber handgun? Maybe they could collaborate with the guys making that bolo round and end up with the Mother of All Gimmick Guns (call it the Judge MAGGnum perhaps?) I hear Yosemite Sam is looking for work…do I smell endorsement deal?

8. avatar kalani says:

I was wondering what pistol round they were going to use as the cover guise, Mabe they got 38 ga mixed up with 28ga. 38ga is .50 cal. i bet 38ga is close enough to 500 s&w / 50 ae too get away with it.