Question of the Day: Are the SHOT Show Organizers Wimps?

See how that works? Even before I touch down in Las Vegas, I’m busy winning friends and influencing people. Slave to the brand baby! Anyway, while I’m winging my way to the firearms industry confab, I’m wondering why the SHOT show is a gun-free zone. As was last year’s NRA confab. The single largest growth area for the firearms industry? Concealed carry. So, if the biz depends on CCW for future growth and development, on the right to bear arms in public, how can they justify disarming their own peeps? Is that a sign of cowardice, capitulation and/or a lack of conviction? Should the SHOT show walk the talk?

comments

1. avatar mikeb302000 says:

May I borrow that image? I don’t really want to say anything with it, I just like the way it looks. It’s got that aesthetic, pleasing-to-the-eye thing goin’ on. Know what I mean?

1. avatar John Fritz says:

10,000 comedians out of work and you’re auditioning…

Stick with your day job. 😉

2. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

When I began reading this I thought you were kidding. I found it hard to believe that the people trying to sell you their product were scared to death of the own merchandise. They are truely “WIMPS or WUSSIES”, or both. They are doing a greater harm to their own industry than they realize. Now all the gun “DISLIKERS” will question why someone should carry a gun near them while the very people who distribute these same guns are afraid of their own product. This can’t be good for any of us.

3. avatar FatWhiteMan says:

The NRA Convention last year was a gun free zone because of North Carolina State law. Louisville in 2008, Phoenix in 2009 and Pittsburgh this year do not prohibit concealed carry. Why the SHOT show is a sheep pen is a good question.

4. avatar Tom W. CCW Permit Holder, NRA Member says:

I attended the NRA Convention in Charlotte, in May 2010. The reason it was a gun free zone, is the Charlotte Conv. Center, is owned by the City. Ergo Gov’t property. NC law excludes concealed carry on Gov’t property. Although, there was no metal detectors, or pat downs, one “could” have carried concealed, but there was a visible Law Enforcement presence also and if you “printed”, or were caught, you would be in violation of the law.

Don’t know about SHOT venue in Vegas, perhaps its an insurance issue, promoter, exhibitor, local ordinance.
    Why don’t you find out and let us know.

1. avatar AntiCitizenOne says:

A talk with many gun show organizers here in Virginia revealed that it is an insurance issue.

5. avatar Ryan Finn says:

I wonder if it’s the Sands Expo Center rules because Nevada permits CC in public buildings unless the owner has a sign posted. You’d think the people running the show would want to have it in a CC friendly place though.

6. avatar TXGunGeek says:

If I may. One of the reasons to consider is the fact that this is going to be a hall of people handling firearms and the promoters do not want the chance of a live loaded firearm being mixed in on accident. Many moons ago I visited a firearms manufacturers plant to pickup matching his and hers as wedding presents (gotta love my wife) This was in texas where CHL is legal and I was carrying. Big 30.06 sign on the door so I degunned and then went in. The owner of the business had seen me in the parking lot and thanked me for sanitizing before entry and explained the reason they post is to prevent possible mixups when people visit and go through the place. I then toured the entire facility and got to test fire our new guns and a few others.

7. avatar WV Proud says:

Had the same issue at my local range. Changed the rule but had some “insurance” excuse that could not be justified by any policy language just antigun official who backed down when asked if he still wanted our money.
    Just an antigun PR opportunity: “if gun owners are so safe why doesn’t NRA allow carry?” NRA convention is huge event they have the clout esp. in bad economy to insist that the venue change it’s rules. A real disgrace for THE progun organization. I’m a member btw but it annoys me when convention tells me to disarm. What about the parking garage at night after the event and the trip home? Leave a gun in the car to be stolen?

NRA needs some stones to stand up for what is right.

8. avatar 2yellowdogs says:

It’s an utter capitulation. I’m sure that some venues have gun-free policies. Fine. Those venues should be out of consideration to hold the SHOT show. One of the first questions the organizers should ask of any venue is whether they’ll allow concealed carry.

I understand that they don’t want an ND or something worse at their show (of all shows). However, if they can’t manage to trust their attendees to carry responsibly, why should anyone else?

9. avatar TTACer says:

When Phillip Morris has a convention they will rent the entire hotel and temporarily claim that it is a “club” so that people can smoke there.

A lot of run-of-the-mill gun shows have the same indoor no-carry rule, probably as a means of preventing ADs. I don’t think it’s a big deal. How would it look if some yahoo accidentally shot himself in the leg at a gun show?

11. avatar John Fritz says:

Liability and insurance. Although I’m sure the show organizers are fine with that. ‘Cause then they can say ‘Sorry. But if it was up to us…’.

12. avatar Lance says:

The Sands Expo and Convention Center has a no firearms rule and like others have said before, they don’t want a mix up to lead to negligent discharge. I believe all of the guns on the show floor have their firing pins removed as an extra precaution.

13. avatar Dan Baum says:

I was at a military hardware expo in Singapore when a grenade launcher everybody thought was unloaded went off and killed a man.

1. avatar John Fritz says:

Was this a government-sponsored and organized event or a show of military items for consumers?

14. avatar Gunnutmegger says:

Head to The Gun Store on Tropicana and rent yourself an MP5.

Stamped or not, it’s the BMW of submachineguns.

You gotta love an Open Carry state.