New Rossi Wizard: Is This the Real Raging Judge?

Home defense weapons are starting to give me a headache. Back in the day, you had a handgun and a shotgun. You carried one, stashed the other, used the former to get to the latter, or just the latter to make the bad guy splatter. Now we’ve got foldable carbines (Kel-Tec Sub-2000), 14-round bull-pup shotguns (Kel-Tec KSG), a range of shotshell-firing pistols that includes a 28-gauge version they can’t sell (Taurus Raging Judge) and a Judge clone with an additional charging hole (Smith & Wesson Governor). Shall we add the new Rossi (a.k.a. Taurus) Wizard to the list? Oh sure, they’re launching it in .243 Win. and .22-.250 Rem. But “other calibers [are] coming soon.” Even if it doesn’t become a .410 shotgun pistol thingie, an 11″ barreled rifled pistol that looks like a sawed off shotgun chambered in something larger could tap into the current home defense gestalt. Or . . . not. Like I said, I’m confused.

comments

1. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

It reminds me of a TC Contender. It looks cool, but Rossi isn’t known for quality guns. You must live in a mansion if you need a scope for home defense.

2. avatar Joe says:

Can the Governor really be considered a “Judge clone with an additional charging hole” when Taurus makes a seven shot Raging Judge?

3. avatar Caleb says:

This looks like it’s going after the TC Contender/Encore market. In some states, Indiana being the first example I can think of it’s not legal to hunt with rifles in traditional cartridges, but you can hunt deer with pistols chambered in rifle cartridges. There is actually quite a market for rifle caliber pistols set up for hunting, which up until now has been utterly dominated by Thompson/Center.

4. avatar shawn says:

I am looking forward to get one for the 2011-2012 hunting season hunt with dogs I think this pistol would be much easier to tote around wile handing dogs and much cheaper than the competition t/c I own a youth model rifle made by rossi I think its a really nice gun

5. avatar Captain Bob says:

Definitely for competition with TC’s Contender. I’ll buy one as soon as I can find one and then get a .30 Herrett barrel made for it. Never liked the styling of the Contender but I do like this.

6. avatar John says:

Do they even make these anymore?