More Guns, Less Precision: John Lott Uses the “C” Word

from nytimes.com:

With the “sunset” of the Assault Weapons Ban in 2004, gun control groups predicted murder would soar. The opposite happened. Re-instituting parts of the ban limiting clip size won’t lower crime. No research by criminologists or economists found that the ban or clip size restrictions reduced crime. Clips are easily made small metal boxes. The benefits of not exchanging the clips is true for law-abiding citizens, police and criminals. If only criminals get the larger clips, they have an advantage.

comments

1. avatar Aaron says:

My home state (NY) “cloned” the AWB, and it didn’t sunset here.
    Merely possessing hi-cap mags is a *felony* for goodness sakes,
    although the burden of proof that they aren’t pre-ban is supposedly
    on the prosecution, not on the accused to affirmatively demonstrate otherwise.
    I agree that limits on ammunition feeding devices are wrongheaded and silly.
    Perhaps Lott was simply using the common (if incorrect) vernacular.

1. avatar John Fritz says:

A felony for God’s sake? So if you somehow end up defending the fact that you own a pre-ban Para Ordnance P1445, then the DA gets to fight with you (with his limitless taxpayer-funded resources) about what the date of manufacture is for the magazine? With a felony conviction being his prize?

I suppose that the intended consequence of that little law for everyone who owns legal magazines that hold more than ten cartridges is to just put them in a drawer and forget about them.

1. avatar Aaron says:

Yup… when I heard that they were illegal in my state, I figured they were just an “aggravating factor” that made penalties for a violent crime stiffer, but when I read the law I found out otherwise.
        Horrible stuff, I sure hope that this federal ban attempt goes nowhere.

2. avatar Dan Baum says:

Can we please stop putting on airs about whether it’s a clip or a magazine? How many of you (incorrectly) answer the question, “How you doin’?” by saying, “Good.” How many of you say things like, “Me and my wife went out for dinner”? I’ve caught Farago splitting infinitives and ending sentences with prepositions! Language evolves. Clip, magazine — I know there’s a technical difference, but Christ almighty, we have better things to argue about. Like, whether John Lott received Divine Truth from the mountaintop or is a partisan fraud.

1. avatar JOE MATAFOME says:

A clip is not a magazine, lets call an apple an apple and call it what it really is, a MAGAZINE .

A magazine is part of a gun. A clip is part of a bris.

I’m just here to help.