Never Bring a Stick to a Gunfight

chicagotribune.com

Illinois State Police are investigating the shooting death of a 40-year-old eastern Illinois man by a Vermilion County sheriff’s deputy.  Police say Michael J. Brandel was shot three times Saturday night by an unnamed deputy at Brandel’s apartment. Three deputies were called to the apartment by the landlord who reported that Brandel was damaging the property. Brandel reportedly refused to comply with their commands and jabbed at deputies with a sharp piece of wood after being shocked with a stun gun.

comments

1. avatar Mike's widow says:

Who named this article? You heartless bastards! He wasn't looking for a fight….he was in HIS HOME!!! He was not expecting to die at the hands of law enforcement… And he NEVER owned a gun and he NEVER looked for a fight…he died because some trigger happy (and most likely) rookie prick, who had no idea that my husband suffered from Bi-Polar disease.
    This wasn't a fight…this was a tragedy. Mike has four children that are now without a father…

2. avatar S. Brandel, widow says:

Ralph, thank you for speaking up! Mike had actually been tased (3 times) and beaten about the face and head before he was shot to death, cornered in a 9'x5' bathroom, IN HIS OWN HOME!

3. avatar James S Cooley says:

I am James S. Cooley. I graduated from High School with Mike Brandel. He was one of my very dearest friends in those days. I cant believe I do the writer of this article justice by simply agreeing with Mike’s “widow”. Callousness is not a requirement of “free speech”. The idiot that wrote that article SHOULD BE FIRED.

4. avatar craig s brandel says:

michael is my nephew i talked w/him a lot just before we saw his grandfather in reno nv. laying on his death bed, this person that shot my nephew is a coward ,also helped destoy the rest of my mothers@fathers heart i hope he lives w/this

5. avatar craig s brandel says:

i spen 4 yrs in the milatary,born in detroit mi. grew up in chicago 9 yrs in los angeles,5 yrs in new orleans i have never wanted to shoot someone who pointed a stick at me

6. avatar craig s brandel says:

just craig here mike really hope your family gets all that cop gave you so sorry i could not help wanted you here lots of luv nephew god bless